The newly crowned US Open champion, Webb Simpson, could miss the Open Championship in July in order to be at home for the birth of his second child, according to his wife (Simpson 40/1 Open outright).
The 26-year-old became the 15th different winner of a major championship in a row when he came from the chasing pack to claim the title at Olympic Club on Sunday.
The American shot back-to-back 68s in the third and final rounds to win in San Francisco at the weekend, celebrating in the locker room with his wife Dowd as overnight leaders Graeme McDowell and Jim Furyk fluffed their chance to force a play-off.
The next major will take the world’s top players to Royal Lytham in Lancashire but the new US Open champion might not be amongst them.
The tournament starts four weeks on Thursday but Simpson’s wife is due to give birth in six weeks, the American’s partner claiming her husband may miss the competition to stay at home in order to make sure he doesn’t miss the birth.
“I don’t think he is going to play the British Open just in case I go into labour,” she told reporters following Simpson’s victory in San Francisco. “It would make Webb too nervous to hop over the pond and then have to try to get back.”
Simpson impressed on his debut at the Open last year, finishing 16th in tricky conditions at Sandwich and shooting a first-round 66.
The current favourite for the Open is Tiger Woods at 11/2, despite the 14-time major winner finishing seven over at the US Open at the weekend following a poor couple of final rounds.
Tags: 1st round leader, european tour, match bets, Open championship, outright winner, tiger woods, US Open, USPGA Tour, webb simpson
Golf, US Open | Golf Betting News | June 18, 2012 12:11 |
Rory McIlroy insists he will not look to change the way he plays over the weekend at Congressional despite holding a six-shot lead at the halfway stage of the US Open (McIlroy 1/3 with bet365 to win US Open).
The Northern Irishman began his second round with a three-shot lead after a sensational opening 65 on Thursday and things got even better on Friday as he continued to pepper the flag and pick up shots with regularity to finish on 11-under par after 36 holes.
He reserved his best for the eighth hole when he holed his second shot for an eagle and it was another sensational display by the 22-year-old.
His only blemish came at his final hole when he found the water and made a double bogey and that saw him slip back from 13-under par – a score that had never before been achieved in the history of the US Open.
It would appear as though the rest of the field are now playing for second place, with Korean YE Yang currently next in the standings at -5, but McIlroy will have his final-round meltdown at the Masters in the back of his mind, where he blew a four-shot lead to slip way down the field after a woeful round of 80 on the Sunday (Yang 4/1 to win outright without McIlroy with bet365).
But the Holywood-born star is adamant that he will not look to just defend his lead on Saturday and Sunday even though it is unlikely that anyone else will be able to get near him if he manages to keep bogeys off his card.
“I still have to be aggressive and go for my targets like I have over the first couple of days, but really par golf from here in could be good enough,” he said.
“I’ve got to go out there and play the way I have been playing, be aggressive to the targets I pick and make very committed swings.”
The Masters champions Charl Schwartzel (55/1 to win outright with bet365) is looking forward to the US Open as he feels capable of winning the tournament.
The South African won the Masters earlier this year thanks to a run of four consecutive birdies in his final four holes and he is now hoping to emulate compatriot Ernie Els, who was the last man to win the US Open at Congressional (Els 75/1 to win 2011 tournament with bet365).
Schwartzel is hoping to play a practice round with Els in order to get some valuable tips ahead of teeing off for the first round.
He claims he feels “comfortable” playing at Congressional and feels like a contender for the title.
He said: “Coming to this golf course this week, it’s another one that feels good to me. It’s all in front of me, and I’m actually quite excited about this week.
“This actually is a ball-striking contest. I think I’d describe myself as a pretty good ball-striker, and I like that. Scoring is not low, and playing good golf you always stand a chance,” added Schwartzel (11/4 to be top South African in US Open).
Ernie Els says English duo Luke Donald and Lee Westwood (both 12/1 – US Open 2011 Outright with bet365) are the most likely to end Britain’s long wait for a US Open winner this week at the Congressional in Maryland.
The South African star, who was the last winner of the US Open when it was played at Congressional in 1997, believes they have the patience to plot their way around the tree-lined, 7,574-yard course safely.
Defending champion Graeme McDowell, who won at Pebble Beach last year, warned no-one will break par after playing a practice round near Washington last month.
But Els believes the top two players in the world have the steady games to emulate Tony Jacklin’s 1970 victory – the last time a player from these shores triumphed at the major.
He said: “The guys who played well at Wentworth will do well at the US Open.
“And Westwood and Donald played great there because they understand how to play Majors where the cream rises to the top.
“You don’t see Major championships won at 17-under anymore.
“You have to play with your head – if you go at every flag you will get burnt.”
Tiger Woods appears to be philosophical over the fact he will not feature at next week’s US Open because of ongoing injury problems (Luke Donald and Lee Westwood – 10/1 joint favourites – US Open Outright with bet365).
The world number 15 is on his way back from knee and Achilles trouble but the US Open in Maryland comes too soon for the 14-time major winner.
Woods is now focusing on the AT & T National at the end of the month for his comeback having not been seen on a course since pulling out of the Players Championship last month in Sawgrass after just nine holes.
“It’s been a frustrating and difficult year, but I’m committed to my long-term health,” Woods said. “I want to thank the fans for their encouragement and support. I am truly grateful and will be back playing when I can.”
Defending champion Graeme McDowell (40/1 – US Open – Outright) admits the US Open will be poorer for the absence of Woods as “he has been golf for the last 15 years”.
After Westwood and Donald, Phil Mickelson is expected to challenge and can be backed at 11/1.
Rory McIlroy believes his display at the Memorial Tournament will stand him in good stead for next week’s US Open (McIlroy 18/1 to win US Open with bet365).
The Northern Irishman finished fifth in Ohio with an 11-under par total of 277, as US veteran Steve Stricker took the title by one shot from Matt Kuchar and Brandt Jobe.
He looked on course to make a real challenge for the title after a first-round 66 at Muirfield Village but failed to build on his opening 18 holes until the final day, leaving himself too much to do to catch the leaders.
The 22-year-old’s last outing in a major ended in disaster, as he blew a four-shot lead at the Masters to card a final-round 80 and slip way down the field.
But far from wallowing in misery, the Ryder Cup star has been competing around the world and looked to be back to somewhere near his best last week stateside.
With the year’s second major set to begin on June 16 at the Congressional, the players are all looking to fine-tune their games for another tilt at glory, and McIlroy feels that if he can avoid making too many errors then he will be in good shape in Maryland.
“It was a great way to finish the tournament,” he said. “I played really good this week. I just made a few too many mistakes, which really cost me.
“We’ll have to try and cut those out before the US Open in a couple of weeks’ time. But there are definitely a lot of positives to take from how I’ve played.”
Tags: 72 hole betting, Brandt Jobe, golf coupon, hole by hole, Matt Kuchar, memorial tournament, outright winner, rory mcilroy, Ryder Cup, Steve Stricker, US Open
US Open | Golf Betting News | June 6, 2011 17:30 |
Northern Ireland’s Graeme McDowell says he is excited about the prospect of defending his US Open title despite his disappointing weekend at the recent Wales Open held at Celtic Manor (McDowell 33/1 to defend his title successfully).
McDowell appeared to be at the top of his game after shooting two superb opening rounds of 64 and 63 but stuttered to a disappointing third round of 81 and then followed it up with a level-par final round to finish in 30th place.
McDowell, who won his first major at the US Open at Pebble Beach last year, will now take a week off to recharge his batteries before heading to Florida for a weekend of intense practice. He’ll then travel up to Washington early next week and try to rebuild his form before the start of the tournament that takes place between 16th-19th June at Congressional.
Despite his difficult weekend, the Ulsterman insists that he is remaining calm and will not be pushing the panic button as he believes he still has the game to win the sport’s top prizes (McDowell 25/1 to win the Open).
“I am not disturbed about my game in any shape or form,” he said. “My game is in good shape, it’s firing on all cylinders.
“Of course, I have work to do between now and Congressional, but Saturday was just a bit of an anomaly. I lost the feel of my swing a little bit,” McDowell added.
Jack Nicklaus feels Luke Donald has the game to be successful at this month’s US Open (Donald 10/1 Outright Winner with bet365), but the golfing legend still sees Tiger Woods as the world number one.
Donald secured top spot in the world rankings with victory in last week’s BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth and now the Englishman has his sights set on a major title.
The 32-year-old (11/2 to win a major this year) has been on an amazing run in 2011, with eight top-10 finishes including two victories, as all eyes focus on Congressional.
Nicklaus has been full of praise for Donald’s hard work on the practice ground and feels he “should do well” in the US Open which starts on June 16.
The 18-time major winner though still feels Woods, who has slipped to 13th in the standings, is the player the others measure themselves against.
The 35-year-old has not won a tournament since November 2009 and is currently in a race against time to be fit this month’s major, having been sidelined by knee and Achilles problems.
Nicklaus admits that he would not like to see Woods break his record of 18 major titles, but wants to see him fit enough to have the “opportunity to play to break records”.
Sergio Garcia is determined to make it into the US Open (Garcia 40/1 to win tournament with bet365), whether he needs to qualify or not.
The Spanish star has struggled for form in recent months and has dropped out of the world’s top 50 as a result. He sits 73rd and no longer automatically qualifies for the Major events (Garcia 25/1 to be the Next European to Win a Major with bet365).
Garcia is signed up for 36 holes of qualifying at Memphis on June 6th to get a place at the US Open at Congressional, Maryland, but he is hoping a turnaround in form could secure him a place automatically.
The 31-year-old hit two rounds of four-under-par 66 at the Byron Nelson Championship to share the lead with Ryan Palmer at the halfway point.
Garcia’s determination to make it into the US Open follows his withdrawal for qualifying for the British Open due to an infected fingernail injury.
“I love playing the US Open. My sister is coming for the US Open, so I want to try to make it so they can see me, both her and her boyfriend. That would be nice,” he added.
“The hope is still that I play well enough this week that I don’t have to do it (play in the qualifier in Memphis).
“But, with what happened at the British Open qualifier, I’m willing to make a little bit of an effort.”
Tiger Woods says he is “likely” to play in the US Open after revealing that he did no further serious damage to his left knee during last week’s Players Championship (Woods 11/1 with bet365 to win US Open).
The 14-time major winner has already undergone four knee operations in his illustrious career and picked up yet another problem at the Masters.
He was forced to rest after Augusta but attempted to make a comeback at Sawgrass last week, only to walk off the course after just nine holes of his first round in obvious pain, unable to complete his round.
Initial reports suggested the former world number one could be set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines and there were some who have questioned his long-term future in the sport (Woods 8/1 with bet365 to win US money list outright in 2011).
But the Florida resident revealed on his official website that, although there is still a problem with his knee, he is confident of recovering in time for the year’s second major, which begins on June 16 at the Congressional Country Club.
“Aggravating my injury is very disappointing,” he said. “I’ll do whatever is necessary to play in the U.S. Open, and I’m hopeful I can be there to compete.”
Woods usually plays the Memorial Tournament in Ohio prior to the US Open and has won the event on four occasions but, with rest and physiotherapy the order of the day, it might be that his next appearance will be in Maryland in mid-June.