David Price has confirmed that he will fight Matt Skelton (Price 1/40, Skelton 10/1 – To Win Fight with bet365) at Aintree Racecourse in Liverpool on November 30.
The 29-year-old maintained his unbeaten record and defended his British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles in comfortable style with a first round knockout of Audley Harrison earlier this month.
And Price revealed that, because 45-year-old Skelton went on standby in the possible event that Harrison was unable to fight him, he promised that he would make the second defence of his titles against him.
Former British, Commonwealth and European champion Skelton did fight on the same October 13 bill as Price when he stopped Croatian Jakov Gospic in two rounds. Therefore Price is not expecting an easy ride against the Bedford fighter at the end of next month.
Price said: “I am aware he is 45, but he has won major championships and challenged for the world title.
“I have only boxed 14 times as a professional and still learning and Matt will bring something new for me.”
Price will look to progress past Skelton and potentially move towards an eagerly anticipated bout against fellow British heavyweight Tyson Fury (Price 1/3, Fury 9/4 To Win Fight with bet365) at some stage in the future.
Amir Khan believes he can repair his damaged reputation and secure a showdown with either Floyd Mayweather Jr or Manny Pacquiao (boxing coupon – Manny Pacquiao 1/4, Juan Manuel Marquez 11/4 – bet365).
The former WBA light welterweight champion has suffered consecutive defeats at the hands of Lamont Peterson and Danny Garcia, leading many to question whether he will be able to target the biggest names in boxing.
Khan, however, maintains the belief that he can compete with the sport’s biggest stars and believes if he can get the better of the previously unbeaten Carlos Molina in Los Angeles on December 15 he will be able to target the high-profile duo.
“It’s one of the steps I have to take to fight the best out there, the likes of [Floyd] Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao,” Khan told Boxing News TV. “But I’m taking it one step at a time, I’m not looking at the big fights.
“This fight for me is a huge fight. I need to win this fight first and move on to bigger and better things.
“I’m hungry to become a world champion again, so it’s all about beating these guys up, getting my titles back again and facing one of the super-names.”
Khan had previously ruled out a contest with Pacquiao due to the fact they shared the same trainer, Freddie Roach. The 25-year-old has since split with Roach and is being trained by Virgil Hunter ahead of his showdown with American Molina, although it remains to be seen whether Pacquiao will entertain the prospect of a fight with Khan when the Filipino is eager to take on Mayweather himself (Amir Khan 1/16, Carlos Molina 8/1 – bet365).
Carl Froch claims he is in a no-win situation when he faces American challenger Yusaf Mack (Froch 1/33, Mack 9/1 To Win Fight with bet365) in his hometown of Nottingham on November 17, but stands to lose ‘everything’ if he is defeated.
The IBF super-middleweight champion, who eased past Lucian Bute to take the belt in May, will put it on the line for the first time in front of his own fans at the Capital FM Arena next month and is expected to come out on top against his opponent from Philadelphia.
However, while Mack, who has dropped down in weight for the bout, has never beaten an elite fighter, Froch is guarding against complacency.
“I’ve got nothing to win and everything to lose,” Froch (29-2, 21KO wins) said.
“From that point of view I’ve got to keep myself focused and keep that determination and desire strong to make sure that when I’m in the gym I’m doing the work and when I’m hitting the punchbag, really gritting my teeth and putting in the work.
“I could have stayed in bed this morning and not bothered because I’ve had this press conference today and I’m in the gym later today.
“But I got up and did my five mile run at a good pace to make sure I’m on the case, because I need to be.”
Froch added: “It looks like he’s in good shape. He’s not as tall as I thought he was, we seem to be about the same height.
“He’s a big lad, with a very muscular upper body, so I can see why he’s a light-heavyweight. But he looks like he can do super-middleweight quite easily so he may be at his best in this division. We’ll see, but I can’t take any chances.”
Ricky Hatton has reportedly decided to take on Australian Michael Katsidis when he returns to the ring in November (Boxing coupon – David Price 1/3, Audley Harrison 5/1 with bet365).
Hatton confirmed he would be returning to boxing earlier this month and is set to take on an as-yet-unnamed opponent on November 24, but widespread reports now claim “The Hitman” will face Katsidis.
Katsidis will arrive in Manchester with the intention of derailing Hatton’s comeback and the Australian, nicknamed “The Great”, should not be considered an easy opponent for the home favourite.
The 32-year-old is an entertaining fighter who has won many fans with his aggressive style over the years. Katsidis has lost four of his last five fights but it is worth noting that those defeats came at the hands of some classy fighters, including veteran Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez, who Katsidis sent to the canvas in the early stages of the fight, and Ricky Burns (Boxing coupon – Manny Pacquiao 1/4, Juan Manuel Marquez 11/4 with bet365).
Hatton, 33, will be returning to the ring for the first time since his crushing defeat at the hands of Manny Pacquiao in May 2009.
The British star is keen to fight for world titles again and is believed to be keen on a rematch with reigning WBA welterweight champion “Magic Man” Paulie Malignaggi, who Hatton defeated prior to his bout with Pacquaio in November 2008, although he will have to get past Katsidis first.
Kevin Mitchell will ditch his friendship with home fancy Ricky Burns when the pair meet in a domestic bust-up in Glasgow on Saturday and insisted “it’s business” (Burns 1/2, Mitchell 6/4 – bet365 fight prices).
Burns, 29, will defend his WBO world lightweight belt against the talented 27-year-old from Dagenham at the city’s SECC and can expect vociferous support from the majority home crowd.
West Ham fanatic Mitchell dismissed any notion of stage fright north of the border by describing the potentially-explosive fight as a “laugh” and “nice”.
The popular east Londoner has only fought twice since 2010 but has promised a late knockout in Scotland and a return to world domination (Mitchell 5/1 – By KO, TKO or Disqualification with bet365).
“It’s business. The way I look at, in my next fight I’ll be world champion and I’ll be defending it for a lot of money,” said Mitchell.
“We’ll sort the friendship out after the fight.”
He added: “Now is the time to be serious with no messing around and that’s what it’s got to be like.
“He’s a nice lad, we get along really well, but he is in my way and I’ll have to take him out my way.”
Ricky Hatton has confirmed he will box again – three years after his last fight, a devastating loss at the hands of Manny Pacquiao (Boxing coupon, fight outcome – Marcos Maidana 3/10, Jesus Soto Karass 12/5 with bet365).
Hatton confirmed his retirement last year but the Mancunian now plans to return to the ring in November, against an as-yet-unnamed opponent.
‘The Hitman’ has a formidable record, with 45 wins and two losses, against Pacquaio and Floyd Mayweather Jr, widely regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighters on the planet.
“It’s more than a comeback,” said the former WBA welterweight champion. “I’m fighting to redeem myself.”
There has been some speculation as to who Hatton could face already, with a rematch against Paulie Malignaggi mooted.
Hatton gave no hint as to who he will take on at the MEN in Manchester on November 24, but the 33-year-old insists he will go all out to secure the knockout.
He added: “I want British boxing to be proud of me again. The only way to convince everyone I’m back is by flattening someone on 24 November.”
Hatton was stripped of his boxing licence by the British Boxing Board of Control in 2010, but is expected to be granted permission by the governing body to return to the ring later this year.
Any rematch with Pacquiao appears unlikely, however, the Filipino sensation is expected to take on either Juan Manuel Marquez for a fourth time or Timothy Bradley, who was somehow handed a split decision victory over the ‘Pac-Man’ earlier this year, in November (Boxing coupon, fight outcome – Manny Pacquiao 2/11, Timothy Bradley 7/2 with bet365).
Tony Bellew has warned Edison Miranda he will make him pay for mocking him ahead of their light-heavyweight showdown on Saturday (Bellew 1/6, Miranda 7/2 – fight betting with bet365).
In the build-up to the bout at Alexandra Palace, Colombian Miranda has said that he has never heard of his opponent and is expecting an easy night’s work in London.
Miranda (11/2 to win via KO) has been in with the likes of Lucian Bute, Kelly Pavlik, Arthur Abraham and Andre Ward during his days further down the scales and sees Bellew (4/6) as below him.
The Merseyside-based fighter certainly hasn’t taken Miranda’s comments well and has promised he will never forget him after this weekend.
“I am nobody to him,” said Bellew. “But on Saturday he will find out who I am and what I’m about and it is going to be painful how he is going to find out.
“I chose him; he did not choose me. I am here because I wanted this fight.”
The British and Commonwealth champion is looking for the win he feels he needs to earn him another world title shot after defeat to Nathan Cleverly on points last year.
The loss to Cleverly was the first of Bellew’s career and he bounced back with a comprehensive win over Danny McIntosh in May.
Tags: andre ward, Arthur Abraham, bout odds, boxing betting and odds, danny mcintosh, edison miranda, Kelly Pavlik, light heavyweight boxing odds, Lucian Bute, tony bellew
Boxing | Boxing Betting News | September 7, 2012 16:54 |
David Price (1/7 to win with bet365) admits he is benefitting from a gruelling training regime to ensure he is fit and ready for the first defence of his British heavyweight championship against Audley Harrison.
The two are set to go head-to-head at Liverpool’s Echo Arena next month with Price to be backed by a vociferous home support against the 2000 Olympic champion.
Price beat Sam Sexton in dominant fashion in May and is being touted in circles as a world title prospect, while 40-year-old Harrison dispatched Ali Adams in four rounds in June – his first performance since a calamitous showing against David Haye in November 2011.
The 29-year-old Price told World Boxing News he is working hard to continue his unblemished 13-0 record on October 13 and prove he is ready for a world title shot.
“Training is going well,” he said. “I feel tired, sore and moody, but that’s how I should feel six weeks out because I am working my socks off for the fight.
“I am exceeding all of my expectations in training once again, running faster, lifting heavier, and punching harder and more often.”
Harrison (9/2 to win with bet365) goes into the fight a big underdog and knows a defeat could end his boxing career, but the gold medallist remains confident his story is not complete as he still strives to be a world champion in the future.
Tags: ali adams, audley harrison, boxing bet, boxing betting, boxing odds, british heavyweight championship, david haye, david price, echo arena, sam sexton
Boxing | Boxing Betting News | September 6, 2012 16:32 |
Former world champion Arthur Abraham has vowed to prove he still has a future in boxing by defeating WBO super-middleweight title-holder Robert Stieglitz (Abraham 3/10, Stieglitz 5/2 To Win Fight with bet365) in Berlin on Saturday.
The 32-year-old has moved to repair the damage inflicted on his career after he lost three of his six fights since moving up a weight category to feature in the Super Six super-middleweight tournament.
Following a first defeat of his career courtesy of a disqualification against American Andre Dirrell, Abraham also lost on points to Britain’s Carl Froch and was defeated by a unanimous decision against Andre Ward in May 2011.
Abraham bounced back by winning the WBO European super-middleweight title in January and then put on a lacklustre display as he defended his crown against Poland’s Piotr Wilczewski in March.
But Abraham is determined to prove he is a force to be reckoned with in the boxing fraternity by taking Stieglitz’s belt this weekend (Abraham 9/4 KO, TKO or Disqualification – Fight Outcome with bet365).
“For me, every fight is a last chance but I am not going to make any bold statements,” said Abraham at a news conference on Wednesday.
“I will defeat him in the ring and then everything will be ok. I’ll prove it all.”
David Price insists Audley Harrison (9/2 – Outright with bet365) is a very dangerous opponent ahead of their showdown in October and says he will not be judging him on his defeat to David Haye.
The pair go head to head as Price defends his British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles at the Echo Arena in Liverpool on October 13 and Price, despite being 1/7 odds-on favourite to win, will not be taking former Olympic gold medallist Harrison lightly.
“It’s my biggest test so far without a doubt,” said Price, himself an Olympic bronze medallist in Beijing four years ago. “If people want to judge Audley on the David Haye fight that’s up to them, but I won’t be doing that.
“I’m judging him at his best and when he’s at his best he’s dangerous for anyone in the world.”
Price, who will fight in front of what is expected to be a passionate support at the Echo Arena in his home city, has only had 13 fights as a professional but expectations are high for a successful career after impressive wins over John McDermott and Sam Sexton recently.
Harrison infamously struggled against Haye in his big heavyweight showdown but Price has plenty of respect for the boxer, who is 11 years older at 41, and vastly more experienced.
“I’m looking forward to testing myself against the best Audley Harrison possible,” he added. “I’m glad he’s injury-free, I’m in this game to test myself and to get to the top and I think this fight will be brilliant for me.
“I’m going to have to answer a few questions, against a different type of style I’m going to have to deal with.”