Manchester United are hoping to capture Andres Iniesta with the midfielder reportedly becoming frustrated with life at Barcelona.
Iniesta is under contract at the Nou Camp until 2015 but is reported to be weighing up his options, and the chance to play in the Premier League is said to be one of them.
Reds boss David Moyes had been chasing Barca star Cesc Fabregas throughout the summer, but after a deal failed to happen, he could be ready to turn his attentions to landing his team-mate Iniesta.
Marco Reus is also high on Moyes' wanted list and it is clear the Scot is keen to bolster his midfield as doubts also surround the future of Shinji Kagawa at Old Trafford.
Liverpool are reported to be keeping tabs on young Wigan goalkeeper Lee Nicholls as cover for Simon Mignolet.
The 21-year-old has impressed since breaking into the Wigan side and Latics boss Owen Coyle has already predicted that the youngster has a very bright future in the game.
Brendan Rodgers has sent scouts to watch Nicholls in action and although he dropped a clanger against Zulte Waragem in midweek, the reports back have been favourable.
Brad Jones currently acts as back up to Mignolet, but Rodgers is keen to draft in a youngster who he can groom to one day become number one at Anfield, and Nicholls could be that man.
Stoke chairman Peter Coates says the Potters have no intention of selling their best players in the January transfer window.
Asmir Begovic continues to be linked with a move to Manchester City but Coates is determined to keep hold and is unaware of the latest speculation linking the keeper with a move to the Etihad Stadium.
Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini played down reports suggesting he was lining up a January swoop for Begovic, and now Coates has done the same.
“We're not looking to sell our best players – but this is news to me,” he said of the link to City. “We have a new manager and this is a very important season for us.”
There is a good chance Begovic could move at the end of the season, but for now the Potters are determined to keep hold.
Hull are continuing to keep an eye on Shane Long's contract situation at West Brom as they weigh up a January move.
Hull boss Steve Bruce failed with a last-ditch bid to sign Long during the summer after the Baggies pulled the plug at the last minute, but he looks sure to try again in January.
West Brom have always insisted Long is in their plans, but they have yet to tie him down to the new contract he is after and while that remains the case, Bruce will hold out hope of doing a deal.
Long would prefer to concentrate on his football and says there are no developments to report.
“I tell my agent not to get in touch with me unless there is something concrete,” Long said of the situation. “I let him do his job and he lets me concentrate on my football.
“There are no developments yet. There are enough things to worry about on the pitch without worrying about things off it.”
Steve Clarke wants his West Brom side to use their frustration from the Chelsea game to secure three points against Aston Villa.
The Baggies chief was left furious when referee Andre Marriner awarded Chelsea a controversial last-minute spot-kick to earn Jose Mourinho's Blues a 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge just before the international break a fortnight ago.
Clarke is still annoyed about the decision which denied his side an historic victory, while he has urged his players to use their disappointment and turn it into a positive when Midlands rivals Villa arrive for Monday night's derby tussle at the Hawthorns.
He told the club's website: “If we can use the frustration to kick on and get the points against Villa then fine.
“But the players are all experienced enough to know that you can't dwell on the previous game, you have to look forward to the next one.
“Chelsea's gone and we have to move on. The next game isn't a small game either – it's massive.
“It's a big game, we're looking forward to it.
“It's just a shame we didn't have a game quickly after; we've had to sit on it for more than two weeks.”
Matthew Lowton has admitted that he only has himself to blame for his dip in form which has seen him drop out of the Aston Villa side.
The 24-year-old versatile defender, who joined Villa from Sheffield United for around £3million in summer 2012, was billed as a star of the future and a potential England international following his impressive debut Premier League campaign at Villa Park.
However, Lowton has failed to replicate his form in this current campaign which has resulted in him being on the fringes of Paul Lambert's first-team plans.
As a result he is happy to accept that he needs to step up his game if he is going to become a regular in the Villa side once again and is not looking for any excuses over his present form.
He said: “It's my own fault. I'm not trying to say I was dreadful, but the standards I set were high, which I was pleased about.
“I've been at fault for a few goals this season and it's not good enough.”
Former Crystal Palace manager Steve Coppell believes the club are right to take their time appointing their next manager.
Palace have been searching for a new boss since parting company with Ian Holloway on October 23 and co-chairman Steve Parish has admitted the process has taken longer than expected.
Ex-Chelsea player Dan Petrescu is thought to be among the front-runners for the position with the Premier League's bottom side, along with Burnley's Sean Dyche and former boss Iain Dowie.
Coppell, who managed the club on four occasions, told Press Association Sport: “They need a manager who can cope with the Premier League football and also have the energy, if they do go down, to drive the club back up again.
“Also, they need the quality and commitment to take on that job.
“There are a lot of boxes that need to be ticked and perhaps there isn't one person who can tick all those boxes.
“I think Steve is going through the process at the moment and perhaps thinking sideways about what the future holds and who would be the best man to take the club forward.
“It is a complex process but, given the international break, he has used the time well to interview and look at, and talk to, a lot of people.
“I've got every confidence he will come up with the right combination.
“But you don't want to leave it too long.
“The next three games people would look at as being critical. They are all important and winnable games.”
Palace, who are three points adrift at the foot of the Premier League with just one win from 11 games, next face Hull, Norwich and West Ham.
Although the incoming boss will face a huge task to avoid relegation, Coppell is convinced the club is in a strong position off the field and can blossom in the future.
He said: “Keith Millen has done a good job in the last few games.
“He has intimated that he doesn't want the job but he has stabilised the team, against Arsenal and Everton, so the signs are there.
“Crystal Palace have four joint-owners and the goal has always been for the club to sustain itself. That should be the goal of any football club.
“If they survive this year then I think you always have a better chance in the second year.
“I know there is a huge desire at Crystal Palace to get this right and become very solid fixtures at this level.”
Coppell, now director of football at League One Crawley, has himself been linked with a return to Selhurst Park in an upstairs role and he would not firmly rule out the possibility.
The 58-year-old said: “I have probably spent a quarter of my life working for Crystal Palace so I have got a huge soft spot for them.
“People always say never go back, but I have been back four times now. The best thing for me to say is never say never.”
Coppell was speaking after handing a £50,000 grant cheque from Budweiser to East Grinstead Town Football Club as part of the official FA Cup sponsor's 2013 Club Futures programme.
Steve Coppell is a brand ambassador for the Budweiser Club Futures programme, which is run in conjunction with the Football Association.
John Arne Riise's Fulham career could soon be over, with the left-back revealing it may be time to return to his native Norway.
Having coming through the youth ranks at Aalesund, the 33-year-old defender played for Monaco, Liverpool and Roma before joining the capital club in 2011.
Riise was initially a first-team regular under manager Martin Jol, but has fallen out of favour and only appeared twice in the Premier League for Fulham this term.
A January move to join up with his brother Bjorn Helge at Lillestrom has been mooted and, with his contract up at the end of the season, the full-back concedes he could soon leave Craven Cottage.
“I have lived abroad for almost half my life,” Riise told TV2. “The time may be ripe to move home in the new year.
“It would be fun to end my career in Lillestrom with my brother, but I have not taken any decision on what to do yet. I feel at least I can play in four or five years.”
Southampton striker Rickie Lambert is out of the England squad for Friday's friendly against Chile at Wembley.
However, England head coach Roy Hodgson has confirmed that Saints' other call-ups, Adam Lallana and Jay Rodriguez, will both play a part in the game.
The exact nature of Lambert's problem is not yet fully known and he could still play some part against Germany next week.
Hodgson said: “We've lost Rickie Lambert with an injury and we'll reassess him when we meet again on Sunday.”
Hodgson has also revealed that keeper Joe Hart won't start the game, giving an opportunity to John Ruddy and Fraser Foster, while Frank Lampard will captain the side.
“I don't want to get drawn into it (naming his team). I haven't spoken to the players about the team,” Hodgson said.
“Frank knows and I have spoken to the Southampton boys and told them they will feature. That's all I'm going to say.”
Fulham goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg insists there is no relegation release clause in his Craven Cottage contract.
The Dutch international, who joined Fulham from Roma in June, has been solid since recovering from injury and remains one of the few plus points of the club's season so far.
But with Fulham languishing in the bottom three, some have wondered if the 31-year-old regrets leaving the Italian capital with Roma flying high at the top of Serie A.
However, Stekelenburg says he is not looking back and had no hesitation when the move to London finally came off.
He told TMW: “Our situation? I do not have a termination clause in the event of relegation.
“Roma are a great team and it certainly would have been nice to do better with [former Roma manager] Luis Enrique. The first year went well, but in the second I was not sure of the place. Fulham came forward and I had no hesitation. I always wanted to play in England and I am fine at Fulham.”